Wednesday, February 1, 2012

American Extra Oatmeal Stout

Brewer: Yours truly
Style: Oatmeal stout
ABV: 5.7%
IBU: 28
Serving Type: On tap into an English pub glass

Back when this was brewed, I wanted three things: 1) To brew a stout, 2) to follow a recipe out of Brewing Classic Styles, and 3) to use only ingredients I had on hand. Unfortunately, my inventory did not allow me to use any of Jamil's stout recipes, so I was left to improvise. What I wound up with was some bizarre mash-up between an American stout, a foreign extra stout, and an oatmeal stout. I give you: American Extra Oatmeal Stout!

9 lbs Domestic 2-row
1 lb Flaked oats
12 oz Chocolate malt
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Roasted barley
8 oz Victory malt
2 oz U.S. Tettnang @60 min
Irish Ale yeast WLP004
Mashed 75 min @150 F
Appearance is super dark, nearly black (estimated at 31 SRM by BeerSmith). Several fingers of tan head takes its sweet time in settling to a persistent film, but lacing is minimal. Lots of chocolate on the nose, with some good roasted malts coming in behind. A little caramel sweetness too.

Where the aroma was all chocolate, the taste is all roast. Chocolate is there, mostly in the aftertaste, and more subdued. Plenty creamy from the oats, with a medium-to heavy body and mild carbonation. A sweet finish if you can find it behind the roasted flavor.

A fairly solid brew overall. I would definitely cut back on the roasted barley next time, try and let some of the subtleties of the victory and chocolate malts come through.

My score: 3/5





No comments:

Post a Comment