Sunday, February 19, 2012

Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock

Brewer: Dark Horse Brewery
Style: Doppelbock
ABV: 7.5%
IBU:
Serving Type: 12 oz. bottle poured into an oversize snifter.

Picked this up because I wanted to add coffee to a bock I was brewing, and this is the only commercial example I could find.

Deep brown in color with lots of ruby red highlighting. A solid finger of a nice tan head with decent retention and minimal lacing. The coffee is right up front with a rich, lightly roasted aroma. Behind that is lots of sweetness, malt and brown sugar.

Lots of coffee in the flavor too, with a slight vegetal background. Caramel, honey, and nut follow, a little like the cheerios. Some bitter astringency, but mellows with warmth.

Overall, not bad. A little one-dimensional. I think the coffee overpowers the traditional bock flavors a little. We'll see how mine turns out. 


My score: 3/5
Beer Advocate: 85/100
Rate Beer: 91/100
Pintley: 3.6/5


No comments:

Post a Comment